Friday, November 04, 2005

Frustrated teacher

Ok, so I may have finally reached my limit. I am continually amazed at how little students retain. Boy, that was a sweeping generalization! But for about 85% of the students it is the truth. The minute they think a topic is done, they forget it. And we just got our AIMS results (the test our seniors this year have to pass to graduate) and according to that data, only 35% or so of our seniors have passed the math. That is the seniors that have been with us for all 4 years. . . . How sad is that. It will be interesting to see what the state does in may of 2006 when so many students are not going to get a high school diploma. . . . . Interesting times to say the least!!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I feel the same way about our 5th graders sometimes...I wonder when it starts...It seems they turn off their brain the minute they step through the doors and wait for some teacher to tell them what to think and whether it is "right" or not. Frustrating. Hang in there! (Cool to keep in touch this way BTW)

Anonymous said...

When I think of where the students where even 10 years ago with my own tests and what I have to do to get them to pass now It is really amazing to me. The tests I gave them 10 years ago never mind 20 years ago. They can't even read.
Sad but very true. The standards seem hard now but they have been scaled down also..and they still can't pass....Pathetic....Love to all Nice to vent.....

Anonymous said...

Now the point of a blog is to let your family know what is going on......I keep checkin but not much changes..Im sure your life is not this boring...Love you all.Mom

Anonymous said...

Hey You Guys! Anybody there? I'm glad you have this blog so that I can check in whenever I'm thinking about you, but you must be too busy since it's been a while since you updated. Love you! Let us know what's going on! T:)

Anonymous said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU.....
HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU....
YOU GET THE JEST lOVE YOU.....Mom