Tuesday, September 05, 2006

An interesting August

The title really says it all.
But, a short recap --
I went back to school on Aug 1st. 4 days before that I found out that I would be teaching different subjects in a different room. Biology is still the same only more of it (4 periods) and 1 period of Anatomy and Physiology. Very exciting!! And I now have my own room, also very exciting. However, when I got here on Tuesday August 1st, I found my room in shambles. It had not been cleaned by the previous occupand, and so I spend the better part of 30 hours that week cleaning my room and getting ready for the start of school.
My mom also switched from elementary school to high school and the next week, outsite of teaching, i spend time helping her get ready for her first day.
then, the bombshell -- the next week, on August 19th, my Gramp,
(my role-model, my rock) passed away. He ws 101, so it was not totally unexpected, but not easy to deal with. He, my aunt ruthie and my cousin deanne, (who I was with more than not on the farm from 2 weeks old til kindergarten) helped to make me the person I am today. while that may not always be a good thing (hahaha) -- it could be a lot worse!
So . . . . I went back to Iowa for the week, for the funeral and to visit and such. He was an amazing man and will be greatly missed!
Then, I came back and am still trying to get back into the swing of things. My masters classes started last week and there is always catch-up when you are gone, but it is good.
Mike is doing well in his classes. He graduates in February from Harley, but is now trying to decide if he wants to add on Honda or maybe BMW. . . we will see how it goes. A lot depends on whether or not he is recruited by Harley to work at one of their plants.
So, that was August. I think I am glad it is Sept and hopefully it will be a bit quiter around here :)
Love to all!
Erin

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey glad to see you posting something. I may not be coming down next week, my car started making a knocking sound. So I guess I will have to take it in tomorrow and see what is going on. Sorry to hear about your grandpa. If Mike got a job with Harley where is their nearest plant?

Erin Strong said...

thanks and hope your car is ok.
The Harley plants are in York PA; Kansas City MO and Milwaukee WI
none of them terribly close -- and we have no idea which one, if any he would go to. it is all a waiting game, and we all know how patient this branch of the strong clan is :)

Anonymous said...

Erin,
We share our regrets with you about your Grandfather. It is always hard to lose someone who has been such a dear part of your life. Our best wishes to you and all of your family.

You give me mixed feelings about Mike's graduation. I am incredibly proud of him, his achievements and his abilities. I am looking forward to celebrating his graduation, but I was secretly hoping that you would move closer, or at least no farther away. What ever happens, I wish the best for you both. Love, Dad

Anonymous said...

Love you guys! Sorry to hear about your Gramps. That is hard to deal with no matter how long and full a life they've lived. Hang in there and hope to see and/or hear from you soon!

Anonymous said...

Mike told me about your Gramps while you were gone. Hope you got to visit with family while you where there. My vote on MIke's schooling is to get all you can while your in school. But if money is going to be involved then go for it.....good talking to you the other day ..You know what I say , Ill give you my opinion and you can take it or leave it...and Ill be ok with it..... I still have a job....Yeah!!! 17 students with 2 more maybe coming in...But I had to teach nai techs. Not my favorite. Oh well...thats how it goes. Let me know about the holidays if there is hope.
Love you both Love mom